Please read the most frequently asked questions and answers below. If you have additional questions, please contact us and we will be happy to assist you.
In compliance with the Federal Fair Housing Act, we are required to have at least one person over the age of 55 in 80% of the homes. The other 20% can be seniors or younger families.
The Board enforces the rules that are in place in the community to have it operate smoothly and harmoniously. The Board can hire an outside property management company to oversee day to day operations of the association.
The Association controls the exterior of all homes as well as driveways, lawns, landscaping, lighting, the entrance improvements, and the Clubhouse. Basically the home owner controls the inside of their home and the Association maintains and manages everything else. Monthly HOA fees are required to cover the cost of these services.
All animals, when outdoors, should be on a leash and be under the supervision of a responsible individual who will immediately clean up all pet litter. Pets are limited to one dog or cat. Animals are prohibited in the Clubhouse and pool area (even on leashes). Note: Some of our communities limit the size of animals in the community. Please, check with each sales representative as to the rules for the specific community you are interested in.
The Clubhouse is the hub of the activities in our communities. It is open to the residents and their guests any time except when a resident has requested exclusive use of it and has paid a small rental fee. Each community has activities in the Clubhouse on a regular basis for all the residents to enjoy.