Frequently Asked Questions
Please read over the frequently asked questions and answers below. If you have additional questions, please contact us and we will be happy to assist you.
What does “55+ community” really mean?
Also called “Senior Communities,” “Active Adult Communities,” and “Retirement Communities,” these neighborhoods are HUD registered subdivisions that are able to control who moves in, based on age.
In compliance with the Federal Fair Housing Act, we are required to have at least one person over the age of 55 in 80% of the homes. The other 20% can be seniors or younger family.
What is the Homeowners’ Association and what do they do?
The Board enforces the rules that are in place in the community to have it operate smoothly and harmoniously. The Board can hire an outside property management company to oversee day to day operations of the association.
The Association controls the exterior of all homes as well as driveways, lawns, landscaping, lighting, entrance improvements, and the clubhouse. Basically, the homeowner controls the inside of their home and the Association maintains and manages everything else. Monthly HOA fees are required to cover the cost of these services.
What are the services provided?
- Lawn and landscaping care — watering, grass cutting, weed control, fertilization, mulching, edging, pruning, and flower installation
- Snow removal from sidewalks and driveways
- Operation and maintenance of the clubhouse and pool
- Lighting of the entry and grounds
- Maintenance of the exterior of your house
- Fire and liability insurance on the structure of the home
- Establish reserved for future replacement of outside elements such as roofs, driveways, etc.
What are the guidelines governing pets in the community?
All animals, when outdoors, should be on a leash and be under the supervision of a responsible individual who will immediately clean up all pet litter. Pets are limited to one dog or cat. Animals are prohibited in the clubhouse and pool area, even on leashes. Note: some of our communities limit the size of your pet. Please check with each sales representative as to the rules pertaining to the specific community you are interested in.
What are the rules and guidelines for clubhouse use?
The clubhouse is the hub of the activities in our communities. It is open to the residents and their guests any time except when a resident has requested exclusive use of it and has paid a small rental fee. Each community has activities in the clubhouse on a regular basis for all the residents to enjoy.
Are there any homes for rent?
All of our homes are for sale only. If you are interested in apartments, we would recommend our sister community, Grovecrest Villas, in Pleasant Grove.
Are these condos?
Most all the homes are attached in groups of two or three. While some of our past communities were technically considered condos, our newer homes are more akin to a luxury townhome. And don’t let the word “townhome” scare you. True, most all townhomes in Utah look horrible, but if you compare our homes to any of the townhomes you’ve seen before, you’ll quickly notice that ours have a unique and superior design. While they try to sandwich you into three or four stories of cheap square footage, we give you a wide-open rambler styled home.
Call Us: 801-653-1291