Many people are living longer in today’s world, but more and more of them are developing chronic diseases that are shortening their lives and increasing medical costs. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, roughly 133 million adults have a chronic health condition, such as diabetes and health disease. Aging doesn’t have to bring illness and disability. It’s not too late to start living a healthier lifestyle. There are many steps to take to reduce the risk of illness. Below are helpful tips on how to stay healthier, stronger, and happier while growing older.
Tips for Healthy Aging
When it comes to healthy aging, prevent is key. By taking a few simple steps, people can dramatically increase their likelihood of a long life with adequate health. Healthy choices include:
- Eating well- The majority of adults in the US consume more than double the recommended allowance for sodium which can lead to cardiovascular disease and hypertension. We recommend eating nutrient-dense foods such as vegetables, fruit, and whole grains. Avoid high processed foods that contain high amounts of sugar or salt. In addition, be aware of how much water you drink. Water can keep you healthy while increasing your energy levels. It’s important to follow your doctor’s recommendations regarding dietary confinements.
- Sleeping enough-Having a regular sleep schedule is essential for elderly adults. We recommend trying to sleep seven to nine hours per night. Sleep deprivation can cause memory problems, depression, exhausted, and irritability. Consider developing and maintaining a regular bedtime routine to make it easier to receive a full night’s sleep. Avoid surfing the internet and watching television close to your bedtime. In addition, avoid caffeine late in the day.
- Prevention-Many illness and accidents can be preventable. Make sure to wash your hands regularly, including after using the restroom and before handling food. We recommend completing a home safety checklist to prevent falls and accidents. If necessary, use assistive devices, wear appropriate footwear, take the proper vitamins, and get regular checkups. In addition, consider getting a year flu vaccine.
- Exercising regularly- Many people who start exercising in their senior years have reaped great benefits from it. Exercise helps control body weight, lower blood pressure, strengthen muscles, and reduce stress levels. Physical activity has also been linked to a decreased risk of dementia.
- Maintaining your brain: Studies have shown that one in eight older adults in the US have Alzheimer’s disease. Although some cognitive decline is normal as we age, active learning and stimulation can slow the process down. Consider trying new activities to challenge your mind. For example, learn a new language, read a book, or take dance lessons. Not only will these activities help you have fun, but they will also keep your mind sharp.
- Getting involved- Elderly individuals who participate in meaningful community activities have reported feeling healthier and less depressed. Do research in your local community to see what activities are happening. Join a planning committee and book club to stay busy. Consider volunteering or attending game nights at your local senior center. In addition to staying active in your community, it’s essential to maintain communication with family and friends, especially after a significant life change. We recommend scheduling a weekly time to meet with friends and family.
Practicing healthy lifestyles will improve their physical, mental, social, and financial well-being. At leisure villas, we provide carefree living with convenience of no steps and no maintenance. You receive the best value for your hard earned money. You’ll have the opportunity to meet and mingle with new friends in a fun, safe, and secure environment. Along Utah’s Wasatch Front, Leisure Villas is recognized as the leading developer of communities for folks 55 and better, all designed to offer you quality, single-story living, with real amenities. If you think it’s about time you started living the carefree lifestyle you’ve worked for, we invite you to check out one of our conveniently located communities.
To learn more about tips for aging healthy, contact leisure Villas today.